- 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM #1Blessed!I am:
- Join Date
- Aug 2006
- Post Thanks / Like
- Blog Entries
- 7 Post(s)
- 7 Thread(s)
- Rep Power
Los Angeles: Afrikan Liberation Film Festival, Feb. 25thAFRICANLIBERATIONFILM FESTIVAL
Last Saturday of the Month Film Series
A NIGHT FOR THE QUEENS OF FELA!
A NIGHT FOR KALAKUTA!
MOVIE AND DANCING
FEBRUARY 25TH 6:00PM to MIDNIGHT at the AFIBA Center 5730 Crenshaw
The African Liberation Film Festival is happy to announce it's second offering for it's LastSaturday of the Month Film Series. This night will be dedicated to the Queens of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti who like him, were committed to the cause of using “Music (and dance) as the Weapon”to achieve African Liberation. We will also commemorate the February 18th, 1977 attack on the Kalakuta Republicthat Fela Kuti created as a sanctuary for those young Nigerians who had become disenchanted with the corruption and neocolonial mentality of Nigeria's ruling elites, as well as a home for disenchanted Africans living in the Diaspora who wanted to return to Africa.
The“Queens of Fela” these “Iyalaje” women, each had their own special power allowing them to uniquely contribute to Fela's vision of an Africa free of corruption and foreign exploitation.
Embracing the spirit of Fela Kuti's mother Funmilayo Anikulapo-Kuti, the “Paramount Queen” in his life, these were informed and fearless women who were willing to make whatever sacrifices necessary to bring about a Pan African reality. Staying with Fela after the attack on Kalakuta where many of them were brutalize and raped, is just one example.
6:00PM A Multimedia Presentation of Fela's Queens
Running time: 40min
A video and slide presentation highlighting the personas and spirit of Fela's Queens. We will get an opportunity to view the Queens up close and see the dedication they had who along with Fela, were confronted by a series of abusive Nigerian governments set on destroying them. We will also get to know each individual Queen by name and learn about their background and family history. We will where possible, give information as to their current status.
8:00 PMFela Kuti at the Berlin Jazz Festival (Jazztage) 1978 Running time: 90min
If you never saw Fela Kuti perform a full live concert, this film is truly the next best thing. Not only do we get to see and hear one of the best bands to ever grace a stage, we also get the chance to see the famously beautiful Queens of Fela,who are significantly featured in this film. We will see how their singing and dancing (not all Queens sang and not all Queens danced) is used to underscore the very powerful messages Fela Kuti was putting forth through his music. Everything is great about this concert film!
9:00PM Afrobeat Party
As we did for our January offering, we are going to end the evening dancing to the best Afrobeat music ever produced. For all of you“Queens” who will be attending ,if wish to come with “Fela Queen” style” make up on, that would be perfectly alright us.
We will start the dancing by paying tribute to Don Cornelius who recently made his transition, with a “Soul Train” line, Afrobeat style of course.
A$5.00donation will be requested. Affordable vegetarian meals provided by Sister Tasha.
For more information call:(323) 291-4114 or (323) 839-5896
To Be AnAfrikan Woman is to:
- be life affirming
- be in partnership with an Afrikan man
- be a political organizer
- function as part of a collective
- exert influence
- speak for the Ancestors
- be an advocate for Afrika
- be a mother who does whatever is necessary to protect her child
- be a healer
- represent the continuity of Afrikan people
- represent the stability of the Afrikan family
- maintain and pass on Afrikan culture
- organize and direct the Afrikan market, enabling our people to understand thespirit of economic exchange and distribution of our resources
- be a scientist of the sacred
- be an intellectual
- be Divine
Quote By Marimba Ani
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- By ?errthang in forum Afrikan Events and HappeningsReplies: 1Last Post: 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM
- By ?errthang in forum Afrikan Movie and Video ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
- By Obadele Kambon in forum Afrikan Events and HappeningsReplies: 0Last Post: 05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
- By Obadele Kambon in forum Afrikan Events and HappeningsReplies: 0Last Post: 11-25-2006, 12:17 PM