Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you will need to create an account first.
Donate Now Please do not take [aK] for granted! Contribute NOW! No paypal? Click here! Goal amount for today: 100 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)

• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Kemetic
  • Depressed
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Dedicated
  • Peace Out
  • Curious
  • Sankofa
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Afrikantic
  • Da Bomb
  • Questioning
  • Vengeful
  • Loud
  • Ma'atic
  • Led Astray
  • Revolutionary
  • Uneasy
  • Black Love
  • Obibini
  • Dancing
  • Abibitumi Kasa
  • Abibifahodie
  • Hard-working
  • RBG
  • Great!
  • Precise
  • Shocked
  • Protective
  • Persistent
  • Inquisitive
  • Disciplined
  • 2 Fangaz
  • Cautious
  • Oreo
  • Eternal
  • Hoodwinked
  • Well-read
  • Troll
  • Brilliant
  • Genius
  • Pretty
  • Impressive
  • Monumental
  • Flirtatious
  • Explosive
  • Cheeky
  • Cute
  • Sarcastic
  • Joyful
  • Uhuru
  • Jammin'
  • Ecstatic!
  • Peaceful
  • RBG Love
  • Outspoken
  • Womanly
  • On Point
  • B-day
  • Tropical
  • Resist
  • Partying
  • Protest
  • Persevering
  • Hot
  • Confused
  • Scholarly
  • Shocking
  • white
  • Playful
  • Kuumba
  • Queenly
  • Bright
  • Kwanzaa
  • Ujima
  • Umoja
  • Stranded
  • Loving
  • Violent
  • Nguzo Saba
  • Timeless
  • Beautiful
  • Joking
  • Full of BS
  • Outraged
  • Sassy
  • Bamboozled
  • Afrikan
  • Defensive
  • Social
  • Jovial
  • Intelligent
  • Nia
  • Beautiful 2
  • Appreciative
  • Warrior
  • Nerdy
  • Relaxed
  • Surprised
  • Jagunjagun
  • Reborn
  • Unsure
  • Lonely
  • Mad
  • Nubian
  • Humorous
  • Flirtatious 2
  • On Point 2
  • On Lock
  • 5 Stars
  • Amandla
  • Committed
  • Historical
  • Feminine
  • Cleansing
  • Asafo
  • Celebrative
  • Fighter
  • Kidding
  • Handsome
  • Funny
  • Optimistic
  • Furious
  • Paranoid
  • Khepera
  • Outta Here
  • Oppressed
  • Miseducated
  • Rebel
  • Strong
  • Gossipy
  • Dangerous
  • On fire
  • Serious
  • Divine
  • Queenly 2
  • Sleepy
  • Imani
  • Ujamaa
  • Exotic
  • Celebrative 2
  • Courageous
  • Kujichagulia
  • Confident
  • Informative
  • Visionary
  • Courageous 2
  • Helpful
  • User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
      Odimafoɔ (Contributor)
      Mapinduzi! Currently
      completing my first major
      publication an applied text on
      applied african critical
      thought theory. Based in
      Afrikan Wisdom Literature, and
      Spiritual Systems of the
      Continent.

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries
      Contribute If you enjoy reading the
      content here, click the below
      image to support our site.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Dick Gregory - Foods In The Hood

"Every form of true education trains the student in self-reliance." [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"A good teacher, like a good entertainer first must hold his audience's attention, then he can teach his lesson."
      [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"The events which transpired five thousand years ago; Five years ago or five minutes ago, have determined what will happen five minutes from now; five years From now or five thousand years from now. All history is a current event." [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"Yes, I'm an extremist. The black race... is in extremely bad condition. You show me a black man who isn't an extremist and I'll show you one who needs psychiatric attention!"
      [Malcolm X]

"People involved in a revolution don't become part of the system; they destroy the system... The Negro revolution is no revolution because it condemns the system and then asks the system it has condemned to accept them..."
      [Malcolm X]

"When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that he will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a man saying he wants freedom, but in the next breath he is going to tell you what he won't do to get it, or what he doesn't believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in freedom. A man who believes in freedom will do anything under the sun to acquire . . . or preserve his freedom."
      [Malcolm X]

"I for one believe that if you give people a thorough understanding of what confronts them and the basic causes that produce it, they'll create their own program, and when the people create a program, you get action."
      [Malcolm X]

Odimafoɔ (Contributor)
      Mapinduzi! Currently
      applied african critical
      thought theory. Based in
      Spiritual Systems of the
      Continent.

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dick Gregory - Foods In The Hood

"Every form of true education trains the student in self-reliance." [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"A good teacher, like a good entertainer first must hold his audience's attention, then he can teach his lesson."
      [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"The events which transpired five thousand years ago; Five years ago or five minutes ago, have determined what will happen five minutes from now; five years From now or five thousand years from now. All history is a current event." [Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

"Yes, I'm an extremist. The black race... is in extremely bad condition. You show me a black man who isn't an extremist and I'll show you one who needs psychiatric attention!"
      [Malcolm X]

"People involved in a revolution don't become part of the system; they destroy the system... The Negro revolution is no revolution because it condemns the system and then asks the system it has condemned to accept them..."
      [Malcolm X]

"When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that he will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a man saying he wants freedom, but in the next breath he is going to tell you what he won't do to get it, or what he doesn't believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in freedom. A man who believes in freedom will do anything under the sun to acquire . . . or preserve his freedom."
      [Malcolm X]

"I for one believe that if you give people a thorough understanding of what confronts them and the basic causes that produce it, they'll create their own program, and when the people create a program, you get action."
      [Malcolm X]

Odimafoɔ (Contributor)
      Mapinduzi! Currently
      applied african critical
      thought theory. Based in
      Spiritual Systems of the
      Continent.

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

[Dr. John Henrik Clarke]

[Malcolm X]

[Malcolm X]

[Malcolm X]

[Malcolm X]

abibifahodie Kuo (Admin)
      Sankofa

I am:
      Committed

Take everything you've heard about whole wheat and throw it out the window. It's not a health food, it's making you fat, and your digestive tract hates you for eating it, according to the author of the New York Times best-selling book, Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (Rodale, 2011).
      So how—and when—did this ancient grain become such a serious health threat? Author and preventive cardiologist William Davis, MD, says it's when big agriculture stepped in decades ago to develop a higher-yielding crop. Today's "wheat," he says, isn't even wheat, thanks to some of the most intense crossbreeding efforts ever seen. "The wheat products sold to you today are nothing like the wheat products of our grandmother's age, very different from the wheat of the early 20th Century, and completely transformed from the wheat of the Bible and earlier," he says.
      Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose X-rays to induce mutations.
      Clearfield Wheat, grown on nearly 1 million acres in the Pacific Northwest and sold by BASF Corporation—the world's largest chemical manufacturer—was created in a geneticist's lab by exposing wheat seeds and embryos to the mutation-inducing industrial toxin sodium azide, a substance poisonous to humans and known for exploding when mishandled, says Dr. Davis. This hybridized wheat doesn't survive in the wild, and most farmers rely on toxic chemical fertilizers and pesticides to keep the crops alive. (It's important to note, however, that the intensive breeding efforts that have so dramatically transformed wheat should not to be confused with genetic engineering of food, or GMOs. This type of technology has its own set of problems, though.)
      So what does all of this plant science have to do with what's ailing us? Intense crossbreeding created significant changes in the amino acids in wheat's glutenproteins, a potential cause for the 400 percent increase in celiac disease over the past 40 years. Wheat's gliadin protein has also undergone changes, with what appears to be a dire consequence. "Compared to its pre-1960s predecessor, modern gliadin is a potent appetite stimulant," explains Dr. Davis. "The new gliadin proteins may also account for the explosion in inflammatory diseases we're seeing.
      The appetite-stimulating properties of modern wheat most likely occurred as an accidental by-product of largely unregulated plant breeding methods, Dr. Davis explains. But he charges that it's impact on inflammatory diseases may have something to do with the fact that, in the past 15 years, it's been showing up in more and more processed foods. Wheat ingredients are now found in candy, Bloody Mary mixes, lunch meats, soy sauce, and even wine coolers.
      As if making you hungrier wasn't enough, early evidence suggests that modern wheat's new biochemical code causes hormone disruption that is linked to diabetes and obesity. "It is not my contention that it is in everyone's best interest to cut back on wheat; it is my belief that complete elimination is in everyone's best health interests," says Dr. Davis, "In my view, that's how bad this thing called 'wheat' has become."
      When Dr. Davis' patients eliminate wheat from their diet, the outcomes are often dramatic, with many losing as much as 20 pounds during the first month. He reports that patients experience relief from acid reflux, esophagitis, gas, cramps, and diarrhea stemming from irritable bowel syndrome after ditching wheat. Joint swelling and pain are often completely eliminated, he says, and patients report improvements in everything from asthma and skin conditions to Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
      Rye, barley, and oats share some of the same properties of wheat because they all contain gluten-like proteins. Dr. Davis urges his patients to opt for non-wheat grains like quinoa, buckwheat, millet, and wild rice, but in smaller quantities (less than half a cup) to avoid triggering high blood sugar.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information